Wednesday, February 18, 2015

First Two Trips to Lake Manyara National Park!


           The “field studies” part of this program really kicked into high gear this week. I went on my first trip to the African savanna to identify animal scat and learn about stratification between different animal groups. I also went to Lake Manyara National Park for the first time and experienced a game drive as well as taking observations out in the field. And for policy, my whole class got to take some of the PRA (Participatory Rural Appraisal) techniques we learned and conduct our own interviews and transect walks.
            The highlight was definitely driving around Lake Manyara National Park. We went on Thursday afternoon and Friday morning, and our professors gave us pretty simple assignments—probably because they knew we wouldn’t be able to concentrate too well when there was the possibility of seeing an elephant at every turn. For Thursday, we only had to make detailed observations of animals we saw in preparation for a short research paper, and on Friday we had to spend at least two hours with several different baboon troops observing their behavior. When we’re out in the field taking notes or driving around, I keep thinking about how these classes are pretty much like Field Natural History African Edition.          

Blue monkeys

            The way we drive around the parks is part of what makes the whole experience really fun. The tops of the cars come off (some come all of the way off and others come up enough for you to stand but still have a roof) and you stand on the seats with your upper body out of the car. Then you drive around looking for animals. It is incredibly exhilarating, especially when you’re scanning the grassland or forest for anything that moves. I suppose you could sit while you weren’t observing anything, but that’s boring. You also can’t get out of the cars in the park, but that’s fine because being up higher gives you a better vantage point.



            On Thursday, we drove around pretty aimlessly, looking for anything to observe. My car saw a lot of creatures: hornbills, blue monkeys, vervet monkeys, baboons, zebras, wildebeest, impala, warthogs, cape buffalo, ostriches, giraffes, elephants, and hippos. I decided to write my research paper on the grouping patterns of warthogs because I saw a lot of them. I think seeing the zebras, elephants, warthogs, giraffes, and ostriches were the coolest, but having the chance to get to know a bit about all of the things we saw through observation definitely made the experience more enjoyable and purposeful than just sitting and watching.


            On Friday, I was lucky enough to be in the car Kioko, our Wildlife Ecology professor, was driving. I got an incredible amount of information from him about baboons and the species of plants they were eating. After knocking out our two hours of observations, Kioko took us on a short game drive, where we saw more ostriches, giraffes, zebras, and our first national park kill, which was a dead frog that a bird had just caught. This bird was pretty dumb, though, and couldn’t figure out how to swallow the whole frog. We watched for about 10 minutes without him making any progress, and then had to drive back to the park entrance.
            We’re going back to Lake Manyara (just the outskirts and not the park itself) on Tuesday for another Wildlife Ecology class, which I am really excited for. We also have our first paper for WE due on Friday, which I am less excited for, but so far it’s been going well. All of the academics are really interesting and engaging. We had a good discussion in Policy about the pros and cons of building a highway through the Serengeti, and after birding for Ecology, Kioko and I had a discussion about population growth and living sustainably in Africa.
            For my next post, I hope to write about the experience I had with my practice PRA project. I won’t call it a highlight, but it was certainly a learning experience. This past week, I have become more and more happy to be here studying in Tanzania. I’ve always felt quite comfortable and at home in Moyo Hill, but I’ve really been caught up in a wave of excitement for what I’m doing!
           
Until next time,
Savanna



No comments:

Post a Comment